Wednesday, December 26, 2012

all a mess

I frequently see myself as youthful, I mean I'm in my early twenties and still consider TGIF as one of the best times in television.  So ya I'm young.  When it comes to relating to my students, I do not have a problem whatsoever.  Which is a blessing from the Lord, but my youthfulness can become a bit annoying.  For instance, today I stopped by Old Navy to check out some sales and as I was perusing through the skinnies on the display table that were only $16.99 I saw someone I knew, a student.  So I did what any normal person would do when they see someone they know.  I called out her name and greeted her with the ever popular colloquial phrase 'what's up?'  She peered up and squinted her eyes to see if she knew who it was that was speaking to her.  Nothing but confusion could be read on her face. Then that's when the reality hit me, I had no makeup on, I was in my workout clothes and looked all a mess and I could pass for a 15-year old.  I had to tell her it was me and apologize for my unsightly appearance.  She felt incredibly uncomfortable so I quickly ended the small talk and found another sale rack to inspect.  I totally forgot I'm not forever a college student and act like I have no responsibilities with what I wear and look like, I have students I look after.

To add to my issues with my age, frequently my kids think that I dress like them, a good and bad thing at times.  But when I have no time in the morning or wanna be comfortable I pull my hair in a pony, put my jeans on, hoodie and converse and I'm on to teaching in my classroom.  Kids will stop my lecture/teaching and raise their hand just to tell me, as if I hadn't already noticed, that I don't look like a teacher and that I look like an 8th grader/high schooler.  Super.  But I guess that is better than the alternative.

Regardless of the fact that my 8th graders and I wear the same size and shop at the same stores, I will be me and express myself as long and as much as I am able too, so long as it's on sale. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment